Friday, March 16, 2012

Pi day

As a middle school math teacher, I am now aware that March 14th, 3/14, is known as "Pi Day". Pi is a mathematical number that is unending. We use Pi in 6th grade. We teach it has "almost 3". For whatever reason, 6th graders don't need to know the rest. I think it has something to do with not multiplying decimals in sixth grade, but seriously, it doesn't matter.

Pi, Greek letter (π), is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on March 14th. Pi = 3.1415926535…

But since we are on Spring Break, every year, on Pi Day, it really does get overlooked.

My kids have no clue what "Pi" is and of course they don't care. But we had a little fun with it. It was more about circles for them!

I found kinds of great things online though and of course, so many ways to celebrate. http://www.piday.org/

We started off with circle cereal!  YUM!

We saw the movie, The Lorax. It's not about circles, its about trees. But check out the trees. They are circular! (I know, its a stretch, but my kids are 6 and 2)



The boys played with "circles". First, a game of air hockey and of course, a steering wheel is round too!


 

We made note that 3:14 was "Pi time". He was such a ham during this, I had to change the clock back to 3:14 several times.

 



 








Mommy ran 3.14 miles

And we ate yummy pizza pie for dinner!

Now we just need to get prepared for "approximation day". That is July 22... (22/7) Seriously, this exist. I can't make this stuff up!

No comments: