Thursday, August 7, 2014

Once and Army Brat, Always an Army Brat

This week, we went to visit my parents, sister and nephews. 

My sister and her boys were down to visit so I took the opportunity to see them and my folks. 

They had planned a trip to Ft Hood to the 1st Cavalry Museum. 
I figured the boys would enjoy it, so we tagged a long. 

I haven't been on post for a super long time and it is extremely different. 
Mom is always complaining about the traffic, but living in Austin, I think, whatever. 
Well, let me just say, it is a ZOO on base. 
That traffic could give Austin traffic a run for its money. 

The museum was really nice. 
Not the best picture, but its hard to wrangle six boys for a good photo! 
Hamilton, Drake, Grant, Hollister, Max, and John 

They have a scavenger hunt developed for kids to find various pictures and then receive a sticker at the end. 
It's a great way to get them involved, especially the young ones

The museum was really awesome. I will never do a good job of explaining it. They had displays from all  the wars and how the military has progressed through the years. Very well done and extremely informative. My 7th grade nephew probably enjoyed that the most, he could appreciate a lot of it t hat the little guys couldn't just yet. 

Outside they had a gazillion (okay, maybe not that many, but a lot!) military vehicles, rockets, helicopters, etc... 
The boys enjoyed that part too, except the heat. 





Afterward we went  to a PX to get a drink. As we were walking in, 
Hollister turns to me and says, "There are so many soldiers here." 
I giggled and had to explain, again, that Fort Hood is a military base. 

I know that the significance of the museum is lost on my boys. They don't quite understand yet, but I know they enjoyed the experience. 



No comments: