Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey Day Run

Well, I did it! I ran in the Turkey Trot downtown yesterday morning, 5 miles to be exact! It was really fun. There were over 12,000 people there. It was insane! At first I was worried that Trevor would be frustrated with so many people and that we wouldn't find each other. I ended up getting out of the car at the start area while they went and parked. As the race got closer and closer there was no way to find them and I didn't have a phone. I was a little panicked.

The race started, finally.... and off I went. Little did I know, my family was right there the whole time. They had found a spot near the start and were waiting for me. This race was great because at every mile marker there was a time clock. I was able to keep a steady pace the whole time. I have officially taken a minute off my mile. I run slow, but I am getting faster.

The course was downtown and there were some serious hills. Those were really tough. I was stunned with all the strollers and thought, no way could I push Hollister up these hills. I would die!
Then near the end I turn my head and see the capitol. I am running right past it. It was pretty cool. I took it in and then pushed on towards the end. One more steep hill and then finally when I made the last turn I saw the finish and TREVOR!!! what was he doing? Talking on the phone!!!! I was kind of hoping he'd have the camera ready. I saw the time and had about 8 seconds to get there in exactly 55 minutes so I booked it. That was my time, 5 miles, 55 minutes. I know, a slow 11 minute mile, but I don't care, I DID IT!!!

I was also happy to hear that Trevor was not bothered by the crowds and he said, "we should all do this next year!" CJ said he'd opt for the 1 mile run. Later in the day Trevor said he was proud of me for my run and that made it sooo worth it! I'm looking forward to next year and the continuation of my running journey.

This is me right after the race. I crossed the finish line and went straight to the boys. CJ said, and I quote. "you look like crap Mom" I think he is right. But who cares? I just ran 5 freaking miles!







































This is actually the backside of the capitol on the way to the car. I thought it was a pretty picture and I had to have a memory of running past the capitol building. At the top of that hill with all the people, is the start! I was up there somewhere, I swear! The other is a quick picture of the crowd in the park after the race. It doesn't do justice to how many people were there. It was crazy!



















3 comments:

Sandra said...

Alright girl....your gonna be my inspiration....after you had Hollister we talked about doing a 5k and then I got pregnant and now neither one of us are pregnant and your doing it but I'm not.....(woo that was alot) and so now I'm motivated and I'm gonna train too :) By the way David cracked up when I told him your fascination with Faith Hill-LOL Congratulations!

Mya and River said...

Yeah you!!!! CJ is so funny! Your hubby is so sweet. :) I'm proud of you too! I could never do that!

Elizabeth said...

let's run girl! I am totally up for any race you wanna do! anyone else wnat to join in?