Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Mommy Created Advent Calendar

I am addicted to Pinterest. I look on it to steal ideas but also to GET ideas. I claim to be only partially creative. I am not original, but I can come up with things after I see something else that "inspires" me.

For as long as I can remember my mom bought chocolate advent calendars for us all and everyday growing up we woke up and ate chocolate, for breakfast people!!!! It doesn't get better than that, especially for a teenager. 

Those chocolate advent calendars are harder to find these days, even though I know they are out there. But being the procrastinator that I am, well.... I made one for the boys instead.

I bought these white bags at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars. I had the paper and stickers from all my scrapbook stuff that really never gets used any more. I also had a really big cork board that needs something on it, it is so ugly.

 Then I created a "tree". Inside I tucked little ornaments to hang each day. Years ago Trevor and I bought a wooden advent calendar which we have used, but its gotten worn over the years. Part of DIY is to re purpose things!
 Each day this little guy hung ornaments and when his little brother "helped" he would clean them all up. He had a good time and now he has hung them all, so he is ready for Santa to come visit him!
Merry Christmas Eve!

1 comment:

Zora said...

very cool. I loved those advent calanders. They want $6 for them now. Kinda of crazy huh. Didn't do advent calanders this year. Remind me to tell you about a easy chocolate one you can do. I'm sure you can repurpose the idea to look cuter than mine a few years ago.