Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sugar Bugs

Today Hollister went to the dentist to get rid of a sugar bug (cavity). He has two, he was scheduled to get one done today and the other the next time.

When we got there, the dentist told him what he was going to do and explained to me that if Hollister did well, they could do them both today. His concern was about numbing both sides of his mouth since he had one on each side of his bottom teeth.

They put the pig face (laughing gas) on his face so Hollister could feel like an astronaut. Hollister did great. After about 5 minutes, he started smiling and then laughing. It was pretty funny actually.

Then the dentist got to work. Hollister doesn't realize even now that he got shots in his mouth. After 5 shots on Monday, I am glad he doesn't! The dentist told Hollister everything he was doing. He said he was looking in his mouth and his fingernails were sharp and it might pinch him (the shot). Hollister never made a noise. He just laid there in "outer space" I think. When they said bite down, he did. When they said "open", he did. It was great!

The dentist mentioned the treasure box a few times and they had Spiderman stickers so I know this helped.

After the first "bug" was gone, the Dr. offered to do the second one since he was doing so well. I was all for it. See, insurance doesn't cover laughing gas, do them both today, save me money and I have 3 more days till I return to work, do it now, save me time (and money). It all worked out.

When it was all over, Hollister asked for them to "take it off". I thought he was referring to the bib around his neck. No, it was his bottom lip. He thought something was on it due to the numbness. We had to show him a mirror so he could see there was nothing there.

Then, his favorite thing... the treasure box. He even got a toy for his friend, Jack. I thought that was so sweet for him to think about someone else.

Today was a success and now we are clear for 6 months and will work hard at not getting anymore sugar bugs!

We spent the rest of the day at home, just playing. I am amazed at my four year olds imagination and how well he can entertain himself. He like me to be close to him, but he plays so well. He also tries to include Hamilton. He brought toys for him to play with and was sure to let me know when he cried, it meant he was hungry and I should feed him. He's kind of bossy that way. Not sure where he gets that from!

All in all, it was a good day with my boy!

1 comment:

Mya and River said...

Wow, makes me feel like maybe we will be able to take Mya to the dentist someday. ;) Good job, Hollister!