Monday, September 13, 2010

A little taste of "Austin"

I have lived in "Austin" for six years now. (Man, it doesn't feel like its been that long.) I bleed maroon, I loathe traffic and this whole "Keep Austin Weird", well, its just not me. Truth be told, I only actually had an Austin address for a few months, but Round Rock and even Elgin, well its all "Austin".
One thing about living so close to Austin though is there is always, and I mean always, something going on and always something to do. There are also GREAT restaurants here. The longer I live here, the more interested I am in trying things out. We have done several things that would be described as an Austin thing, but they haven't felt different. That changed this weekend. We went to a restaurant called the Omelettry. It was definitely an Austin thing, one that I liked though.
This is what the outside of its looks like. Who wouldn't want to try this place out? It looks so fun!
Its a cash only business, which is very different, even for Austin.
"Lets look at Humpy Dumpy Mommy!" (lol)

He LOVED this police egg. He thought it was hysterical. It was at the back of the restaurant. We had to look at him over and over again.

Yep, a rooster on the top of the building. Why? Uh, cuz its Austin!
Are you not getting the theme of my post?

When we were seated, the waiter brought us 2 adult waters, 1 small water for Hollister and a sippy cup of water for Hamilton. That was a first. I have never had a restaurant bring a sippy cup to my baby! He also brought a coffee cup full of crayons and a few sheets of plain white paper. Then he threw down (not in a bad way) 3 action figures for the boys to play with. My boys have ten thousand action figures, and I think I may have even had some in my purse or diaper bag, but these "new" ones were like gold, they kept both boys entertained.

The food was good. Its not all about eggs, but we were there specifically to try the omelets. It was completely worth it. We really enjoyed them. Hollister had yummy pancakes and Hamilton enjoyed his own baby food.Not sure if this armadillo made our omelets, but if he did, he did a great job!

Can't capture atmosphere on camera and as much as I wanted to, I didn't take pictures inside. It just didn't feel right. Everyone was casual, some you could tell had just rolled out of bed, literally... that's an Austin thing lots of places though. We even saw bikes parked out front of those fools who bike every where even in the crazy heat.

What was meant as a simple breakfast turned into a "Austin" experience for me. I won't convert, trust me, my loyalty runs deep. But, I like the option we have here to try these new things, new places and too see how the "weird" live.

2 comments:

janet wright said...

Aaron and I used to go there all the time! It actually looks like they've jazzed up the place. We've been gone almost four years! Was there still dum dum pops by the register?

Rachel said...

Your little boys are so cute.