Monday, January 31, 2011

13.1 Checked off the bucket list

Does running a half marathon officially make you a runner?

My first reaction to that question is YES!

My second, No... if you run more than one and can honestly say you enjoy running,
then you are a runner.

Am I a runner?

NO!, in big bold capital letters.

I am a proud half marathon FINISHER!
I earned that medal and that cookie!
I had a goal a while back. To run a half marathon before my 40th birthday. I completed my goal yesterday. I ran in the 3M Half-Marathon here in Austin yesterday. I did want to finish under 3 hours and I did. My chip time was officially 2:42:48. I finished 3,851 out of 5,750 people.
I met my goal.

I can check this off my "bucket list". (Which I don't really have)

So back to this being a runner thing...

I have always wanted to be a runner. When I started running, I hated it.

I have gotten better. I like it a little more than before.

But running for almost 3 hours is different than just going for a run around the block for some good cardio work.


At mile 4, I contemplated quitting at mile 6. That's where Trevor was going to be for the first stop and I could just tell him to take me home.


When I saw him at mile 6, I thought I can't quit....

So, here I am... running... not quitting...
I did walk some of it and I am not ashamed of that. I took a race walking class in college and learned good form and I know I am a fast walker. I am a slow runner and I don't have good form. So, when I walked, I race walked and I was able to keep a good pace. It felt good too.



At mile 10, I was wiped... I couldn't imagine running 3 more miles. I felt like everyone was passing me. I knew I could make the goal of under 3 hours, easily... But I was tired.


I never thought of quitting after mile 4 though. I guess I figured if I was this far into it why quit?


At mile 12, I still thought I had longer to go than I did. I recall hearing someone say, "Look up, you can't breathe with your head down." See, bad form, I tell ya.


So, I lifted my head and low and behold I saw the finish line! What? I'm gonna make it. I'd love to say I busted out into a sprint at this time. But that just didn't happen. I just kept going and looked for Trevor. They announced my name as I went over the line, which was cool, but I just wanted to stop running which I really couldn't do.

I did see Trevor and he did get this great picture!

When we met up and he hugged me, I just wanted to cry. I was very weak. But, I had done it. It didn't take long before I blurted out, "Glad I did that, but I don't want to do that again, ever!" I think he was a bit disappointed, but I do not enjoy running. I do not get a runners high from completing something like a half marathon. I just get tired. (and today, I am so sore!)
I also have a nice shirt and a shiny medal and yes, I will be able to say I ran a half marathon.


This is Donna. She also ran. This is her second half. She is running another one in 3 weeks. She is a runner, she has a sickness. But, its not contagious, trust me, I know!

I will keep running, because I actually like running shorter distances. I like 3-5 miles. I have also decided that I can do a relay for a half marathon. That's a 6-7 mile run.
As a matter of fact, Trevor and I are signed up for the Capital 10K in March.
That is how we will celebrate my 40th birthday!














2 comments:

Zora said...

Way to go! I knew it was coming up but didn't realize I missed it. So proud of you. WAY TO GO!

Mya and River said...

Girl, I HATE running too and don't get why anybody loves it! So proud of you for finishing. I'm sure it was so hard to keep going. BTW, your hair is so long and looks so pretty!