Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ringing in the New Year

When I was 9 months pregnant with Hollister we started a holiday tradition, making gingerbread houses. That first year I ate my way through my house. Heck, was about to give birth in less than a week, I was entitled. My house was also pathetic that year.

So this was our 4th year. We give each person a box of graham crackers and a tub of icing and said go for it!

Here's the 2008 results!

This was Hollister's first year. We think he did pretty well for his first attempt. He did what Mommy did years ago... He loved it so much, he ate it!


CJ's house: I think he said it was a bomb shelter, no door though. He has a swimming pool and carolers on the grass. We never know what he is thinking, we just let him do his thing.

Kendrick always starts off with a bang and tires himself out. He worked hard on those "angles". He was proud of his hot tub on the roof. We just let him do his thing too.

This is my house. I really struggled with my roof this year. I ended up making "twin peaks" I love icing and use a lot! I'm all about color and fun. Can you tell?
Then there's Trevor. He can't just have fun. This is serious business for him and he becomes quite competitive. I know, not shocking to any of you who know him.
This is actually "our house" He made the bushes in front and the bushes on the side in front of the AC unit (the cookies stacked on the side). He even did the backyard. Those are his "banana trees" in the far corners. Oh, and the red in front of that, the landscape bricks. Can you say over achiever? We call that anal in this house! His fence and his grass, oh and of course the concrete for the driveway and the back patio you can't see here... he's pathetic. We know, but we love him!
Oh and btw... no, our house is not yellow.

The whole process is an ordeal. I can't say its total fun. If you know us, you know we always have drama with competition and all. But, the end result was fun and it was a neat way to start our new year. We finished well after midnight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

3 comments:

J-mee!! said...

what a great tradition!! Love it!!

Mya and River said...

So cute! I love the hot tub on the roof! I'll take that house, please. ;)

Zora said...

very fun! I would have been like Hollister and just eat all the building material.

Trevor really needs to to try to be a little more creative ;-)

A very cool tradition. I'm going to think about doing this with my boys when they get a little older.