Sunday, April 26, 2009

Coupons, Savings and yes, even Stress


Coupon Cutting Queen!

Okay, so today I ventured to CVS to try out their savings that I have been reading about online so much. The deal with CVS is you have to sign up for a card to get their savings. You buy certain things and you get money back in the way of "Extra Care Bucks". It takes some out of pocket money to get the deals, but in the end you are saving. For example, I bought some tooth paste for 1.99, CVS gave me 1.00 in Extra Bucks so I bought the toothpaste for 99 cents. Now, only after I go back and use that Extra buck... so for now, yes I am out of pocket some money. It will only work if I go back BY A CERTAIN DATE and use the Extra bucks I earned. Oh, trust me, I will.

I may be new to this coupon/saving thing, but I do have my stuff organized and I already have my extra bucks filed in the coupon case, under the new label CVS!

Today I earned $11 in Extra Care Bucks. Since this is a learning curve, I actually messed up. I could have earned $10 more, but I didn't pay close enough attention. If I spent $20 on health care I would have gotten $10 credit. I spent$15.78, I needed to spend $4.22 and I would have gotten it. Unfortunately I didn't see this until after I had left the store. Hence, the learning curve.

I also used MFC and saved $8. I am pretty proud of myself just for that.

CVS also had a buy one get one free on eye make up. I NEEDED eye liner and bought that. I got mascara for free. That was a savings of $5.99! Since I needed it, it was worth it.


What I bought today.

My savings total $25 for my trip to CVS for today. I'll admit, I spent a lot this trip, $120 to be exact. But, I do NOT have to go to Wal-Mart now. I bought all those items and even bought multiples, (see pic, I bought 2 deodorants and 3 body washes, we aren't that stinky, it will last) so I won't need those items for a few months. Again, its paying now to save in the long run. It doesn't seem like a lot, but knowing that I have diapers for almost 2 months, Swiffer wipes for 2+ months, body wash for 2 months, deodorant for 2 months, band-aids for a very long time, paper towels for months, dish washing liquid for months, Tylenol, toothpaste, etc... see my point?



The other thing I plan to do is a Swiffer rebate. I really hate rebates because you have to jump through hoops to get the money. They are offering a debit card deal for spending money on their product. I plan on getting a $10 debit card from them, after jumping through those hoops, which will bring my savings up to $35. Since I really use Swiffer products, I think it is worth it.

So, is your head spinning like mine is? I will admit, it can be a little stressful and I am trying really hard to buy things I would normally buy and not just because I have a coupon. I admit, I did buy a few things I would not have normally bought. For example, I bought 2 bags of cookies. They were 2/$4. I had coupons though; 50 cents off one. I bought 2, which means, I spent $3 on cookies. I don't think that's bad knowing that my family will eat them. but, could I have done without? yes.

One thing I like about the CVS receipt is it lists the extra care bucks offers and tells you how much you spent and how much more you should have spent to qualify for the extra bucks. That is how I learned about the $10 I missed out on by $4.22. But, I am happy to say that I only missed out that ONE. The others, I would have had to spend a lot more on. I had 7 chances to get extra bucks. I received 3 ($11 total) I missed out on 1 (afore mentioned) and 3, I wasn't even close, which is good. I didn't buy what I didn't need!

I have a long way to go. I am learning. Honestly, I am trying to see if it is worth it. This will be continued...

So, if you are interested, learn about all this CVS stuff here.

The Grocery Game and Money Saving Mom are my two favorite places. If you try out The Grocery Game, please list my e-mail, I can save that way too. hodgesgal@gmail.com

We also did our HEB shopping today. After I checked The Grocery Game, I knew where the saving were and headed off with them, my list and my coupons. Last time I saved approx. $14 using coupons. This time I saved $22 using MCF from the trusty newspaper! Then I save $8.67 using those yellow HEB coupons. I saved over $30 tonight!

So, my savings today: $55!!! WHOOP!!! Once I jump through those rebate hoops, it'll be $65! I feel productive!

Are you a coupon clipper? Do you shop at certain stores because of their deals?
Let me know if you already do this, or if you try it and let me know how you make it work!!! I am all about learning!!!

5 comments:

heidi said...

YEAH!! It can be very addicting!! I'm additicted to Randalls right now, we will have to talk, FYI since you were only 4.22 away from teh $10.00 you can go back buy the extra items needed and then it will spit out the 10.00 Extra bucks you thought you missed out on, it keeps track of them on your card and as long as you hit it in the right time frame it will give it to you.

Mya and River said...

Oh my goodness. I tried coupons for a while and finally said, "The heck with it! I have too much other stuff to do than look for coupons." But woah, you saved a lot! I guess it is worth it in the end. :) (Did you ever see the family on Wife Swap that was crazy about coupon clipping? ;)

J-mee!! said...

You are so funny!!!!!!!

heidi said...

Hey girl,
here is the link to several sites I use to find the deals. people post the deals they find ect and the link for couponing addict told you wrong Sorry!! Have fun. Theres also multiple links to different coupon websites within the links you just have to look for them. I need to get your email so I can email you without clogging up your blog. Heidi

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=809236

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=792048

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=857127

http://couponingaddict.com/Home.aspx

Fredi said...

We use CVS ALL the time and I love the bucks back!! PLUS you get coupons for other items. We buy a lot of CVS brand items and those rack up the bucks back, also!!
We even bought Claire's GPS from CVS!!
DO you have the coupon dispenser in your CVS?
You go in and scan your CVS card and it let's you know if you have any deals waiting on your card!!!