Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cake Boss Who? Ace of Cakes Who?

Soon those guys, Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes will be dust in the wind and the new Cake King will be crowned.

Most of you know; Trevor’s newest hobby is creating cakes. I have been asked several times recently where this came from or when it started. I don’t really know, but Trevor is very creative and after watching and seeing so many cake and cupcake shows on TLC and The Food Network, he got curious.

Last week, I was asked by a co-worker who has seen his cakes on my blog if Trevor could make her daughter a Barbie/Princess cake. He’s never made a cake for someone else, never sold a cake, its all been just family and close friends, but hey, why not?

This cake was for 5 year old little girl, whom I know quite well and know she is girly, with a capital G. We had decided a princess cake and were quite excited because as you know, Princess cakes don’t rank high on our boys’ wish lists.

As methodical as Trevor is, he thought this through and prepared quite in depth for it. A few days later though, we learned that the little girl actually wanted a Princess Castle cake more than a Princess cake. Her mom and I both knew she would love the Princess cake, but knowing our own 5 year old (boy) if he said he wanted Spiderman and we gave him Batman, he would like it, but then say, “Where’s my Batman cake”. So, Trevor set out to build a castle cake.

The adventure was so fun and now that it is done, I think I can speak for him that he’d do it again, and I’d be right there along with him. The whole process was F-U-N! This was a fondant adventure and even though kids don’t like fondant, it had to be that way. Don’t worry, there is icing under it and I am sure they enjoyed eating it. This was also the first experience with coloring fondant. Way easier than one would think.

Step 1: Make the fondant. I shared that here.

Step 2: Use toothpicks and set the coloring on the fondant. Step 3: Not shown: mix color through to desired shade

Step 4: Roll out your colored fondant

I wish I had more documented pictures, but I was not just an observer in this project, I was the assistant. Plus, I just sat in awe for much of it and plain forgot to get the camera out.

The bottom is 2 round cakes, covered in fondant with a beautiful pattern on it.

The towers are edible… made from Rice Krispie treats. This is the part I brain freezed on picture taking.



Here is the finished product!


Here’s the birthday girl with her cake!

1 comment:

Zora said...

so incredible! Way to go!